Sunday, March 31, 2013

"The Escape Artist" Response

 Until I read this article, I was not at all familiar with the artist, Mike Kelley. It deeply saddened me when I read that he had committed suicide. In a way, I can understand that he must have been so overwhelmed with everything. I feel that way in art a lot. It seems as though one's mind can never produce enough ideas fast enough. I thought that it was interesting to read that even after his death, many people still supported him as an artist by coming to his gallery and viewing his works. I feel as though he had such an eventful life, and when I read that his parents hoped for him to be a teacher or go into the ministry when he was older, I thought that maybe that also contributed to some of his depression or restlessness. I found it interesting that he used stuffed animals in one of his works. That is not a material/medium that is used reguarly

No comments:

Post a Comment